Digital storytelling is a short form of digital media production that allows people to share aspects of their own personal stories. This workshop will provide learners with strategies for creating digital stories. By the end of the workshop participants will be able to analyze different media options for a digital story, identify different approaches for finding and using media, use digital storytelling techniques, create a script for a digital story and record narration and use iMovie to produce and edit a three to five-minute digital story of their own.This workshop will be in person, and will include an online component via Zoom. The instructor will send you links to the materials to read beforehand and to meet via Zoom to answer questions a week before your workshop at Sitka. There will also be an opportunity to meet via Zoom one-on-one with the instructor. The online component will help participants decide a story topic and gather necessary media. The online Zoom session will take place on August 15, 6pm-7pm PST.
Colin Stapp is a career educator and works at Chemeketa Community College. He has taught digital storytelling with Chemeketa Community College Community education program and with youth programs at NW Documentary. He studied photography and video at Mt. Hood Community College, and Pacific University, and has a master of educational technology from Boise State University. Through his understanding of life experience and honoring participant input and voice Colin helps learners share their unique stories.
• Mac laptop (needs to be a Mac, so participants are able to learn and use iMovie to edit their digital stories)
• Bring all adapters and dongles
• Personal media to use in their digital story (audio, video, still images)
• Flash drive or portable hard drive
• A favorite notebook and sketch/drawing supplies for participants who wish to include artwork in their stories
• Scanner for digitizing printed images
• Microphones for Recording narration
• Royalty-free media (music, sound fx, and video clips)
• Audacity, free audio editing software.
• Instruction handouts